Skip to Main Content

Scholarship FAQ

When are the applications available?
Applications will be available online only from October 13, 2017 to February 1, 2018.

Where do I get the application?
The College of Social and Behavioral Science website

When are they due?
February 1, 2018 at 5 PM.

Where do I turn them in?
Please complete your application online. Do not print the application form and fill in by hand. Only online applications will be accepted.

When applying for multiple scholarships, how many transcripts do you need to submit? Do they need to be originals or can they be copies?
Only one copy of each transcript needs to be submitted with your application form, even if you are applying for more than one college scholarship. You only need to submit transcripts for those institutions at which you completed more than 15 credit hours. They do not have to be originals. You must include the University of Utah if you have attended.

Can I submit a DARS report for my transcripts?
Yes, a DARS report or university transcript are acceptable. These will need to be scanned in pdf format and uploaded to the online application at the appropriate point in the application.

Are transfer students who have 30 credit hours at other institutions eligible to apply for the scholarships?
Yes. You just need to make sure that you are coded as an official major in the College of Social and Behavioral Science (CSBS).

Can a CSBS scholarship be used in conjunction with other scholarships at the University?
If you are awarded a CSBS scholarship and a departmental scholarship, you must choose one or the other. If you are awarded a CSBS scholarship and another scholarship outside of your department/college, you may still receive the CSBS scholarship unless the other award has stipulations that you cannot accept more than one award.

For the Marie Gaby Scholarship, how do you define “minority”?
The definition of minority is open for you to define. Most students that apply for this scholarship do so on the basis of ethnic minority. However, we do have students apply that are under-represented minorities in their department because they are male or female, etc.

For the Oakley J. Gordon Scholarship, what documentation is needed to show that 7 years has elapsed since graduating from High School?
You simply need to fill in your High School graduation date on the application. We will verify the information with the Admissions Office.

If I have applied for the scholarship before do I need to submit a new personal statement and new letters of recommendation?
Since your application materials are discarded after the selection process, you will need to generate a new application and application materials. However, you may use the same personal statement and have the same individuals submit your letters of reference if nothing needs to be updated.

Can one of my letters of recommendation be from a High School teacher? Is it better if it is from a College professor?
Recommendation letters should be from people who know you best and can speak to your performance/character. If you have not had the time or opportunity to develop an association with one of your college professors, it is acceptable to submit a letter of recommendation from your High School teacher.

How do I know if I am a declared major?
Check with your academic advisor or the Registrar’s Office (250 SSB).

Are there any requirements in terms of citizenship or residency?
Some scholarships have residence requirements. Undocumented students may also apply, however undocumented students must have graduated from a Utah high school to be eligible for a scholarship.

What should be included in my personal statement?

Your personal statement is a chance to express your educational goals and background to the Scholarship Selection Committee. These statements should be concise and strong and reflect who you are. Don't be afraid to express to the committee how this scholarship will help to ease the financial burden of completing your education. They carry a great amount of weight in the final selection process.

Sample Personal Statements

When will I find out if I have been awarded a scholarship?
The Scholarship Selection Committee meets at the beginning of March. You will receive a letter in the mail approximately the last week in March letting you know of their decision. Since we only allow one scholarship per student selected, if you applied for multiple scholarships and are awarded one of them you will know that you were not a recipient for the others.

Where should I send my letters of reference?
Letters of reference may be delivered by hand to the Dean's office in Bldg 73 Room 101, or you can scan and upload in an email to All letters of reference, transcripts and other documentation must be included for an application to be considered by the scholarship committee.

I am a graduate student. Can I apply online?
Yes, the online application form may be used by both undergrad and postgrad students including students undertaking the MPA, MPP and MIAGE degrees.

Do I need to apply for a specific scholarship in order to be considered?
No, the scholarship application form is generic and applicants will be assessed for all appropriate scholarships.

Who do I contact if I have other questions?
801.581.8620 or

Last Updated: 11/6/17