The College of Social & Behavioral Science (CSBS) Ambassador program is a diverse group of individuals who are passionate about their studies in CSBS and want to share that passion by connecting with prospective and current students, alumni and donors both in person and through social media. Ambassadors attend and help with campus projects to spread the word about majors and opportunities in CSBS.
Earn a scholarship for working with CSBS!
Scholarship of $500 for Fall semester and $500 for Spring semester toward tuition based on experiential learning. Additional funding available for ambassadors who also help during the summer semester (optional).
#bethesolution and Be an Ambassador!
Application Open Friday, December 6, 2019 (Fall semester Reading Day)
Application Deadline Friday, January 31st, 2020 at 11:59pm
One-on-one interviews February 10th - 21st, 2020
Decision Day Friday, February 28th, 2020
Welcome Day Friday, March 20th, 2020 from 1-2:30pm
- Must be a degree-seeking undergraduate student
- Must be registered for courses (full or part-time) in Fall and Spring semester (students graduating in fall semester are not eligible - must have a full year left)
- Must be in good academic and disciplinary standards with the University of Utah
- Be a declared major in the College of Social & Behavioral Science
- Required minimum 60 hours for Fall semester and 60 hours for spring semester
- Time commitment is dictated by events during the Fall and Spring semesters (evening and weekend events expected as well)
- New Student Orientations during June and July provides an additional scholarship towards tuition (optional)
CSBS Ambassador Team Meetings
- One hour twice per month
Fall Semester Retreat
- Saturday before the 1st week of school for the fall semester
Spring Semester Social
- Near end of Spring semester (based on schedule)
- Representing the University of Utah and the College of Social & Behavioral Science (CSBS) at recruitment and campus events
- Planning, promoting and increasing involvement in student events and opportunities
- Providing feedback on university, college and department initiatives
- Participating in occasional photo shoots for promotional materials for the College of Social & Behavioral Science
- Information sharing with prospective students and parents (in person and through email and social media) relating to the University of Utah and the College of Social & Behavioral Science's academic programs, faculty, physical facilities, social opportunities and student services
- Attending required monthly meetings
- Using CSBS social media by taking pictures, using Instagram and Facebook stories and contributing to posts in order to share information widely
- Attending special alumni events such as: dean’s distinguished speaker series, scholarship receptions and award ceremonies
- Meeting with alumni and donors to help secure gifts that support student scholarships
- Overall, demonstrating sincerity, enthusiasm, credibility, interested and helpfulness in all aspects of the Student Ambassador position
Meet our 2019-2020 Ambassadors
Class of 2020
Majors: Political Science and Communications (Strategic Communications Sequence)
Hometown: Los Angeles, CA
Fun Fact:My first internship was at the age of 15 at the Stanley Mosk Superior Court in Los Angeles.
What inspires you to #bethesolution?: My goal to be the voice for women and Latinos is what inspires me to #bethesolution. I want to play a role in political legislation and bring about changes to those underrepresented. I want to be the voice of those who don't feel a sense of belonging and ensure my legacy in this world is that I was a champion for change. I want to serve as an inspiration for future generations to #bethesolution.
Class of 2020
Major: Geography, Environmental Science and Sustainability
Hometown: West Jordan, UT
Fun Fact: My favorite Disney movie is Toy Story
What inspires you to #bethesolution?: · "Knowledge is power" is one of my favorite mottos in life. I have a goal to inspire others in pursuing and reigniting their passions in life through education. I believe that we can focus on creating solutions for all the problems within our society by enabling, influencing, and supporting others in their endeavors. I Want to be able to leave a possible impact on the those around me, and assist them in achieving their goals.
Class of 2022
Majors: International Studies & Health, Society and Policy
Hometown: Taylorsville, UT
Fun Fact: I am a die-hard Beyonce fan. From Dreamgirls to Everything is Love, her powerful work constantly captures my heart.
What inspires you to #bethesolution?: As Starr Carter from Angie Thomas' "The Hate U Give", articulately puts it “What’s the point of having a voice if you’re gonna be silent in those moments you shouldn’t be?” With an ability to speak up and dismantle oppressive systems, I choose to #bethesolution because the moment we decide to silence ourselves is the same moment where we surrender. Every day, marginalized groups must face the harsh reality that no one will listen to their ongoing, incessant plight. This leaves the elite and powerful few with a perpetual microphone to use as they sit on their ivory towers, hypothesizing about the hardships of the world. It is this increasing divide between the silencer and silenced, that I aim to remediate. Confronted with several of the hardships inflicted upon the “outsiders’ of our society, I have come to recognize my responsibility to use my privilege as a vehicle for change. #Bethesolution means more than speaking out against instances of injustice and strife. It asks individuals to sacrifice their complacency. It plumbs into the depths of the human soul to extract the nuggets of purity in each of us. #bethesolution is the conscious decision to evolve; to grow; to move.
Class of 2022
Majors: Honors Degree in Anthropology with Emphasis in Health
Minors: Integrative Human Biology
Hometown: South Jordan, UT
Fun Fact: I like dipping my grilled cheese in mayo.
What inspires you to #bethesolution?: Being able to provide the same opportunities I have to other people who may not be as privileged as I am (all thanks to my parents!)
Class of 2020
Major: Political Science & Sociology
Hometown: Salt Lake City, UT
Fun Fact: I LOVE poetry, laughter and murder/crime documentaries.
What inspires you to #bethesolution?: I love to smile. And I love making other people smile. My heart lights up when I can help another and I get a smile in return. Kindness and positivity goes a long way. We can make the world a better place by helping one another. Doing what I love and what I am passionate about inspires me to #bethesolution.
Other Ambassador Teams